Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
shire (plural shires)
- Former administrative area of Britain; a county.
- Yorkshire is the largest shire in England.
- (UK, colloquial) The general area in which a person lives, used in the context of travel within the UK:
- "When are you coming back to the shire?"
- A rural or outer suburban local government area of Australia.
- A shire horse
former administrative area of Britain; a county
rural or outer suburban local government area of Australia
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked