Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (intransitive) To maintain a safe distance from a hazard.
- You had better stand back and let me operate the chainsaw.
- (intransitive) To abstain from participation.
- While others debated the proposals, he stood back.
- (intransitive, cricket) (of a wicket-keeper) to stand a long way behind the wicket so as to catch balls from a fast bowler
maintain a safe distance
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
to abstain from participation
(cricket) to stand a long way behind the wicket so as to catch balls from a fast bowler