Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Able or likely to stick.
- Is this tape sticky enough to stay on that surface?
- Potentially difficult to escape from.
- This is a sticky situation. We could be in this for weeks if we're not careful.
- (computing, informal, of a setting) Persistent.
- We should make the printing direction sticky so the user doesn't have to keep setting it.
- (computing, of a window) Appearing on all virtual desktops.
- (Internet, of threads on a bulletin board) Fixed at the top of the list of topics or threads so as to keep it in view.
- (Internet, of a website) Compelling enough to keep visitors from leaving.
- A woman has come to me with the complaint that her website is not "sticky" - 70% of the visits last 30 seconds or less.
- Of weather, hot and wind-less and with high humidity, so that people feel sticky from sweating.
able or likely to stick
persistent across multiple incarnations of a widget
appearing on all virtual desktops
of threads on a bulletin board
sticky (plural stickies)
- A sticky note, such as a post-it note.
- Her desk is covered with yellow stickies.
- (manufacturing) A small adhesive particle found in wastepaper.
small adhesive particle found in wastepaper
- (Internet, bulletin boards) to fix a thread at the top of the list of topics or threads so as to keep it in view.
to fix a thread at the top of the list