Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also Stinger
- (UK) IPA: /ˈstɪŋə(ɹ)/, X-SAMPA: /"stIN@(r\)/
- (GenAm) IPA: /ˈstɪŋɚ/, X-SAMPA: /"stIN@`/
- Rhymes: -ɪŋə(r)
stinger (plural stingers)
- A pointed portion of an insect or arachnid used for attack.
- Anything that is used to sting, as a means of attack.
- Anything, such as an insult, that stings mentally or psychologically
- a cocktail of brandy and crème de menthe
- A device used by the British police force consisting of a portable bed of nails to puncture car tires.
- A minor neurological injury of the spine characterized by a shooting or stinging pain down one arm, followed by numbness and weakness.
- A station identifier on television or radio played between shows.
- A scene shown on films or television shows after the credits.
- (slang) A nonlethal grenade using rubber instead of shrapnel, more commonly called a sting grenade.
- (slang) A final note played at the end of a military march.
- (slang, television and film) An extension cord.
- (device used to puncture car tyres): spike strip
pointed portion of an insect
anything that stings mentally or psychologically
- present tense of stinga.