Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
sustain (plural sustains)
- (transitive) To maintain, or keep in existence.
- (transitive) To provide for or nourish.
- provisions to sustain an army
- (transitive) To encourage (something).
- (transitive) To experience or suffer (an injury, etc.).
- Shall Turnus, then, such endless toil sustain?
- You shall sustain more new disgraces.
- (transitive) To confirm, prove, or corroborate.
- to sustain a charge, an accusation, or a proposition
- To keep from falling; to bear; to uphold; to support.
- A foundation sustains the superstructure; an animal sustains a load; a rope sustains a weight.
- To aid, comfort, or relieve; to vindicate.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Shakespeare to this entry?)
- his sons, who seek the tyrant to sustain
to maintain something
to provide for or nourish something