Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To deliberately act evasively or prolong a discussion in order to gain time or postpone a decision, sometimes in order to reach a compromise or simply to make a conversation more temperate.
- (obsolete) To comply with the time or occasion; to humor, or yield to, the current of opinion or circumstances; also, to trim, as between two parties.
- They might their grievance inwardly complain, But outwardly they needs must temporize.
- (obsolete) To delay; to procrastinate.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Francis Bacon to this entry?)
- (obsolete) To comply; to agree.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Shakespeare to this entry?)
to deliberately act evasively or prolong a discussion