Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
toss (plural tosses)
- A throw, a lob, of a ball etc., with an initial upward direction, particularly with a lack of care.
- (cricket, soccer) The toss of a coin before a cricket match in order to decide who bats first, or before a football match in order to decide the direction of play.
- (UK, slang) A jot, in the phrase 'give a toss'.
- I couldn't give a toss about her.
throw, a lob, of a ball
toss of a coin before a match
- To throw with an initial upward direction.
- Toss it over here!
- To flip a coin, to decide a point of contention.
- I'll toss you for it.
- To discard: to toss out
- I don't need it anymore, you can just toss it.
- To stir or mix (a salad).
- to toss a salad; a tossed salad.
- (UK, vulgar, slang) To masturbate
- (transitive, informal) To search (a room or a cell), sometimes leaving visible disorder, as for valuables or evidence of a crime.
- "Someone tossed just his living room and bedroom." / "They probably found what they were looking for."
- 2003, Joseph Wambaugh, Fire Lover, p. 258:
- John Orr had occasion to complain in writing to the senior supervisor that his Playboy and Penthouse magazines had been stolen by deputies. And he believed that was what prompted a random search of his cell for contraband. He was stripped, handcuffed, and forced to watch as they tossed his cell.
- 2009, Thomas Harris, Red Dragon:
- Rankin and Willingham, when they tossed his cell, they took Polaroids so they could get everything back in place.
- 2011, Linda Howard, Kill and Tell: A Novel:
- Hayes had watched him toss a room before. He had tapped walls, gotten down on his hands and knees and studied the floor, inspected books and lamps and bric-abrac.
- (intransitive) To roll and tumble; to be in violent commotion.
- tossing and turning in bed, unable to sleep
- (intransitive) To be tossed, as a fleet on the ocean.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Shakespeare to this entry?)
to throw with an initial upward direction
to flip a coin
to stir or mix (a salad)