Jump to navigation Jump to search
From Proto-Tai *nwoːŋᶜ (“younger sibling”). Cognate with Northern Thai ᨶᩬ᩶ᨦ; Lao ນ້ອງ (nǭng); Lü ᦓᦸᧂᧉ (noang2); Tai Dam ꪙ꫁ꪮꪉ; Shan ၼွင်ႉ (nô̰ang); Ahom 𑜃𑜨𑜂𑜫 (nong); Bouyei nuangx; Zhuang nuengx, nongx.
n ˆ ɒ ŋ
- younger brother; younger sister.
- younger person.
- (slang) baby; infant; young child.
- (slang, sometimes considered offensive) subordinate; inferior; servant.
- used as a title or term of address
- used as a title for or term of address to a younger brother, younger sister, or younger person; used by such person to refer to oneself when speaking to an elder brother, elder sister, or older person.
- used as an affectionate title for or term of address to a beloved, younger person; used by such person to refer to oneself when speaking to a beloved, older person.
- (slang) used as an affectionate title for or term of address to an animal or object.
- (colloquial, sometimes considered offensive) used as a title for or term of address to a subordinate, inferior, or servant.
- พี่ (pîi)