Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Popularized by Mao Zedong during the founding of the People's Republic of China, however usage may be attested before then.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): duk6 laap6 zi6 zyu2, duk6 lap6 zi6 zyu2
- to be independent and one's own master
- to pursue a foreign policy of peaceful development, autonomy and self-reliance
- Foreign relations of the People's Republic of China on Wikipedia.Wikipedia:Foreign relations of the People's Republic of China
- “十六大后中国“独立自主”外交政策的不变与变”, in www.wutnews.net (in Mandarin), accessed 2007-12-15