Compound of 表 (omote, “front; on the surface, in the open”) + 沙汰 (sata, “an action, an event”). The sata changes to zata due to rendaku (連濁).
表沙汰 (hiragana おもてざた, rōmaji omotezata)
- something that has come out into the open: a public incident, something that is public knowledge
- Sono ken wa omotezata ni suru na.
- Don't air your dirty laundry / bring it out into the open. → Keep it private.
- an issue brought before a court or other public institution
- sōzoku arasoi o omotezata ni suru
- to take an inheritance dispute public / to court