|For pronunciation and definitions of 貴方 – see the following entry at あなた.
- [pronoun]貴方, 貴女, 貴男: you (second-person pronoun)
- [pronoun]貴方: (women's speech) dear, darling, sweetheart (term used by a wife to address her husband)
- [pronoun]貴方, 彼方: (uncommon) that person (far from both speaker and listener)
|(This term, 貴方, is a kanji spelling of あなた.)
/kipau/ → /kifau/ → /kifɔː/ → /kihoː/
From Middle Chinese 貴方 (MC kʉiH pʉɐŋ, “noble, superior + side, place, direction”).
貴方 (hiragana きほう, rōmaji kihō, historical hiragana きはう)
- (respectful) your house, your residence
- (respectful, men's speech) you (used to address someone of equal social footing)