Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Darling
darling (plural darlings)
- A person who is dear to one.
- (by extension) A person or thing very popular with a certain group.
- a media darling
- a darling of the theatre
2011 December 15, Felicity Cloake, “How to cook the perfect nut roast”, in Guardian:
- If there's such a thing as pariah food – a recipe shunned by mainstream menus, mocked to near extinction and consigned to niche hinterlands for evermore – then the nut roast, a dish whose very name has become a watchword for sawdusty disappointment, is surely a strong contender. One of the darlings of the early vegetarian movement (particularly in its even sadder form, the cutlet), it was on the menu at John Harvey Kellogg's Battle Creek Sanitarium [sic], and has since become the default Sunday option for vegetarians – and a default source of derision for everyone else.
person who is dear to one
- Dear; cherished.
- She is my darling wife of twenty-two years.
- Well isn't that a darling little outfit she has on.
darlinger is rarely used.