Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Added to a noun to form an adjective denoting possession.
- láb (“foot”) → nagy lábú ember - man with big feet / big footed man
- haj (“hair”) → vörös hajú - redheaded
- Member of the following suffix cluster:
- -ú is added to back vowel words ending in a consonant
- -ű is added to front vowel words ending in a consonant
- -jú is added to back vowel words ending in a vowel. Final -a changes to -á-.
- -jű is added to front vowel words ending in a vowel. Final -e changes to -é-.
From -aigh + -adh
- Regular verbal noun of second-conjugation verbs, notably verbs in -aigh.
- May be used as a noun, which then decline as third-declension masculine nouns (which may or may not have a plural):
- tosú (gen. tosaithe, no plural) -- "commencement", from tosaigh ("to begin")
- urú (gen. uraithe, pl. uruithe) -- "eclipse", from uraigh ("to eclipse")