Jump to navigation Jump to search
From Middle English -schipe, -shippe, from Old English -sċipe, from Proto-West Germanic *-skapi, from Proto-Germanic *-skapiz.
Compare Scots -schip, West Frisian -skip, Dutch -schap, German -schaft, Swedish -skap, Icelandic -skapur. Related to shape.
- Appended to a noun to form a new noun denoting a property or state of being, time spent in a role, or a specialised union.
- fellow → fellowship
- owner → ownership
Property or state of being
- Alternative form of -schipe
- English terms inherited from Middle English
- English terms derived from Middle English
- English terms inherited from Old English
- English terms derived from Old English
- English terms inherited from Proto-West Germanic
- English terms derived from Proto-West Germanic
- English terms inherited from Proto-Germanic
- English terms derived from Proto-Germanic
- English lemmas
- English suffixes
- English noun-forming suffixes
- Middle English lemmas
- Middle English suffixes