Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Derives adverbs.
- (multiplicative) Corresponds number + times structure in English.
- (adverbial suffix, comparable) Forms adverbs from adjectives describing the manner in which something is done; corresponds to the English suffix -ly.
- (intensifier) Forms intensifying adverbs from certain nouns.
- -ist (forms names of occupations from some nouns)
- -ist (supporter of an idea)
- (multiplicative) Used only with small numbers, and with some pronouns; note that yksi (“one”) → yhdesti (“once”) is not standard Finnish (compare kerran).
- (adverbial suffix) The suffix is appended to the weak stem, i.e. one takes the n off the genitive singular form and adds this suffix to it. The resulting adverb is comparable, if the base word is comparable: for example kauniisti, kauniimmin (more beautifully), kauneimmin (most beautifully). It can be appended to all adjectives, but also to selected nouns and numerals.
- (adverbial suffix) The -sti adverbs are used to describe the manner that something is done; the other common use in English to instead modify adjectives, such as to describe their extent (tolerably quiet), is usually, but not always, done in Finnish with a genitive structure: siedettävän hiljainen.
- (intensifier) The suffix is often applied to a vulgar term: perkele → perkeleesti.
- (expression of how many times something happens): kertaa
- adverbial suffix