Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Roman symbols: CI
- Chinese numeral: 佰壱, 百一
From the practice in US colleges of numbering courses, the initial course normally ending in 101
101 (not comparable)
- (chiefly US, postpositive) Basic, beginner, starting from scratch.
- Geology 101 tells us that you can't build a reservoir on sandstone.
- 2004, Daniel Dor, From Englishization to Imposed Multilingualism: Globalization, the Internet, and the Political Economy of the Linguistic Code (in Public Culture volume 16 issue 1)
- Companies sell directories, databases, reports, translation services, automatic translation software, and guidebooks for doing business away from home, which, in some cases, look much like simplified textbooks for Anthropology 101.
Symbolizing more than 100, an already large number.
- There is a difference in pronunciation depending on the person. Many people still use "one hundred and one", which also applies to almost all numbers after 101. However, it is becoming common to hear the "and" omitted, simply "one hundred one".
- An arbitrary large number. Used especially in book titles.