- 1 English
- 2 German
- 3 Portuguese
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌæbiˈtʊə(ɹ)/, /ˌæbɪˈtʊə(ɹ)/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌæbiˈtʊɹ/, /ˌæbɪˈtʊɹ/
Abitur (plural Abiturs)
- A group of exams taken in the final year of German secondary school. [found in English since the mid 20th century]
- “Abitur” in Lesley Brown, editor, The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, 5th edition, Oxford: Oxford University Press, →ISBN, page 5.
Attested since the 1890s. A shortening of Abiturium, itself short for Latin examen abiturium, from abitureō (“I wish to leave”), desiderative construction of abeō (“I leave, go off”). For more, see also Abiturient. Compare Physikum.
- Abitur in Duden online
Abitur m (uncountable)
- Abitur (group of exams taken in the final year of German secondary school)