Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A female given name of modern usage taken from fantasy fiction; explained, for example , as a Sanskrit word for "eternal".
- 2002 Richard Layman, To Wake the Dead, Leisure Books 2004, ISBN 084395468X, page 11:
- "Amara? That's a beautiful name." He smiled, teasing. "And she was a wife of Pharaoh Mentuhotep the First. - - - Amara, Amara, Amara. A guy can fall in love with a name like that.
- A port on the River Tigris in Iraq.
- A female given name, equivalent to English Amara
- Amara (a city in Iraq)