Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A custom peculiar to the United States or the Americans.
- A word, phrase or linguistic feature originating from or specific to American language usage.
- However, the -ize spelling is now rarely used in the UK in the mass media and newspapers, and is hence often incorrectly regarded as an Americanism.
- A preference to the United States and the ideas it represents.
2016 July 22, Aaron Blake, “Donald Trump’s strategy in three words: ‘Americanism, not globalism’”, in Washington Post:
- "The most important difference between our plan and that of our opponent is that our plan will put America first," Trump said. "Americanism, not globalism, will be our credo."
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.