Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: apollonian
Apollonian (not comparable)
- (Greek mythology) Of or relating to the Greek god Apollo.
- 1877, Henry Kendall, “Ode to a Black Gin”, in The Australian Town and Country Journal, page 24:
- You have your lovers - dusky beaus / Not made of the poetic stuff / That sports an Apollonian nose, / And wears a sleek Byronic cuff.
- Of or relating to the Ancient Greek mathematician Apollonius of Perga.
- Pertaining to Apollonia.
- 2011, Power and State Formation in West Africa: Appolonia from the Sixteenth to the Eighteenth Century, →ISBN:
- They speak Aowin [Anyi] but their blood is Apollonian blood.
- Alternative form of
Apollonian (plural Apollonians)
- One who is apollonian.
- 2008, Herbert Spiegel & David Spiegel, Trance and Treatment: Clinical Uses of Hypnosis, →ISBN, page 120:
- By contrast, Apollonians value reason more than feeling.
- 2011, Yuri Slezkine, The Jewish Century, →ISBN, page 24:
- Apollonians and Dionysians are usually the same people: now sober and serene, now drunk and frenzied.
- 2013, Raphael Massarelli, Lloyd A. Horrocks, & Julian N. Kanfer, Phospholipids and Signal Transmission, →ISBN:
- Those of us who were Apollonians had thus a chance to organize a programme. The Dionysians knew what was going to happen to them, but, of course, did not know yet how to cope with it.
- 2016, Ellen Goldberg & Dorian Bergen, The Art and Science of Hand Reading:
- Apollonians are creative artists, but while all Apollonians love the arts, there are both creative and business types of Apollonians.
- A native of Apollonia.
- 1824, Isaac Littlebury (translator), The History of Herodotus:
- But the Apollonians being soon informed of the thing, caused him to appear without delay before the court of justice; and sentenced him to lose his eyes, for sleeping when he ought to have watched.
- 1978, Paul Mmegha Mbaeyi, British Military and Naval Forces in West African History, 1807-1874:
- Another clause in the rules of conduct drawn up for defeated Appolonia virtually transferred jurisdiction to Maclean: by it, he invited 'every Appolonian who may be oppressed or injured wither [i.e. whether] by Quacoe Accah [Kwaku Akkah, the King] or any other chief ... to make his complaint to the governor of Cape Coast
- 2015, Joel D. Irish & G. Richard Scott, A Companion to Dental Anthropology, →ISBN, page 261:
- McIlvaine and colleagues (2014) examined a cemetery at the Greek colony of Apollonia, Albania to assess to what degree interbreeding may have occurred between indigenous Illyrians and colonial Apollonians.
- (science fiction) A native of the planet Apollo.
- 2008, C. G. Stevenson, The Apollonian Appearance: The Being from the Planet Apollo, →ISBN:
- 2013, Jim Henry, Universal Life Force Series Featuring Antiquity Calais Vol. 1-3, →ISBN:
- At first, when the Apollonians converged on her, Mary Theresa thought she had made a major mistake by going to the battle.
- 2013, James Bartholomeusz, The Grey Star, →ISBN, page 17:
- The last person who tried this kind of appeal was actually the new vessel -- an Apollonian, one I knew briefly.
of or relating to the Greek god Apollo