Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: hijra
Hijra (sometimes lowercase)
- Hegira; the beginning of the Muslim era, equivalent to 16 July 622, by the Julian calendar of the time.
- Since the Muslim lunar year contains only 354 days, the year 2005 is approximately equivalent to Hijra 1426.
- The first day of the Islamic month of Muharram.
- Calendar system used in Islam.
- Muhammad’s departure from Mecca to avoid persecution.
- Any flight or journey to a better place.
beginning of the Muslim era
first day of the month of Muharram
calendar system used in Islam
Muhammad's departure from Mecca
any flight to a better place
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked