Borrowed from Arabic مُحَمَّد (muḥammad, “praised, commendable, laudable”), the passive participle of حَمَّدَ (ḥammada, “to praise, commend, laud, extol”). From the same triconsonantal root ح م د (ḥ-m-d) as, but distinct from, Mahmud.
Muhammad (plural Muhammads)
- (uncountable) The figure who introduced Islam, the man to whom the Quran was revealed; considered a prophet by Muslims and Baha'is.
- Shias believe that Ali succeeded the prophet Muhammad as leader of the Ummah.
- (uncountable) The 47th sura (chapter) of the Qur'an.
- (countable) A male given name very popular among Muslims.
- There are two Muhammads in my class.
- Mahomet was the predominant form until the late 1700s. Mohammed was the predominant form from then until the 1940s, when it was overtaken by Muhammad, which has been predominant ever since. Other forms which are now quite common are Mohammad, Mohamed, and Muhammed, which all came into common use after the 1820s.
- (fairly common today:) Mahomed, Mahommed, Mehemet, Mohamad
- (fairly common historically but uncommon today:) Muhamed, Muhammat, Muhamad, Mehemed, Mehemmed, Mahoma, Muhammud, Mahemet, Mehemmet
- (Ottoman/Turkish-derived:) Mehmed, Mehmet
- (uncommon and in most cases obsolete:) Mohamet, Mahamad, Mahammad, Mahamet, Mahumet, Mohammet, Mahammed, Mahamed, Mahommet, Mahomad, Machomet, Mahommad, Muhammet, Mahomat, Muhamet, Muhamat, Maomet, Mohamat
- (rare and in most cases obsolete:) Mahamat, Mahamid, Mohamud, Mohammud, Mahomett, Mohamid, Mohammid, Muhamud, Muhammid, Mahammet, Muhamid, Magomet, Mohemet, Mehammed, Mohemmed, Mehamet, Mohemed, Mahemed; Mouhammad, Mouhamed, Mouhamad, Muhmmed, Mohamod, Mohammod, Muhmad, Muhmmad, Muhimmad, Mohmad, Mohmmad, Mohmmed, Mohmed
- (very rare and in most cases obsolete:) Machoumet, Mahamath, Mahamett, Mahamit, Mahammat, Mahammid, Mahemett, Mahemmed, Mahemmet, Mahometh, Mahommat, Mahommett, Mahoumed, Mahoumet, Mahumett, Mehamid, Mehammad, Mehemett, Moammed, Mohamit, Mohammat, Mohamut, Mohemmet, Mohomet, Mouhamet, Mouhammed, Muammed, Muhamut, Muhemmad, Mathomus
- (rare, derived from modern scholarly transliterations of Arabic:) Muħammad, Muḥammad
- if the mountain won't come to Muhammad
- Mohammedan, Mohammedanism (now offensive)
- Mohammedism, Mohammedist (rare, offensive)
- Muhammad (prophet of Islam)
Language purists prefer the spelling "Muhammad", but "Muhammed" is the traditional and more popular transliteration into Finnish.
|Inflection of Muhammad (Kotus type 5/risti, no gradation)|