- 1 English
- 1.1 Alternative forms
- 1.2 Pronunciation
- 1.3 Etymology 1
- 1.4 Etymology 2
- 1.5 Etymology 3
- 1.6 Etymology 4
- 1.7 References
- 2 Inuktitut
Inuit (plural Inuit)
- Any of several Aboriginal peoples of coastal Arctic Canada, Alaska, and Greenland.
- (nonstandard) Individual members of the Inuit peoples.
- Eskimo (potentially offensive in Alaska, Canada, Greenland)
- Inuk (proper singular form, uncommon)
- Inuits (somewhat improper plural, rare)
- Inupiat, Inupiaq, Iñupiaq, or Inupik (Alaska)
- Inuvialuit (Northwest Territories)
- Inuinnaq (Western Nunavut, Central Arctic Canada)
- Nunavummiut (Nunavut)
- Nunavimmiut (Nunavik, Northern Quebec)
- Labrador Inuit (Nunatsiavut, Labrador)
- Greenlander (Greenland)
- Kalaallit (southwest Greenland)
- Skraeling (historical)
- Inuktitut, the Inuit language.
- Inupiatun, or Inupiak, and Qawiaraq (Alaska)
- Inuvialuktun (Northwest Territories)
- Inuinnaqtun (Western Nunavut, Central Arctic Canada)
- Inuktitut (Nunavut)
- Nunavimmiutitut (Nunavik, Northern Quebec)
- Nunatsiavummiutut, Labradorimiutut, or locally Inuttut (Nunatsiavut, Labrador)
- Greenlandic, or Kalaallisut (Greenland)
- Of or pertaining to Inuit people, language, or culture.
The northern indigenous peoples of North America used to be called Eskimo, but the term has declined in usage in North America because it was erroneously thought to derive from a pejorative; see the usage notes at Eskimo. Inuit is the accepted term in Canada, and has gained some currency in the United States. However, Eskimo continues to be the prevalent name in Alaska, and worldwide, for both the Inuit Inupiat people and the non-Inuit Yupik.
Many dictionaries do not list Inuits as a plural form. Inuit is usually used as an ethnonym with no singular form (like Chinese). The need to treat Inuit as a singular has been obviated by wider recognition of its etymological singular form Inuk in recent times.
- plural of
- “Inuit” in the Katherine Barker, editor, Canadian Oxford Dictionary, 2nd edition, Don Mills, Ont.; Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004, ISBN 978-0-19-541816-3.
- “Inuit” in Dictionary.com Unabridged: Dictionary.com, LLC, 1995–.
- Inuit on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Eskimo on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Inuktitut on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Inuit language on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- plural of