Mannschaft f (genitive Mannschaft, plural Mannschaften)
- crew members of a ship
- team (group of people)
- Wenn unsere Mannschaft so weiterspielt, werden wir bestimmt gewinnen!
- If our team keeps playing like this, we will definitely win!
- Sie sind die allerbesten Mannschaften
- They are the very best teams
- (now rare) group of soldiers belonging to one military unit
Partly from etymology 1 above, partly a reborrowing from other European languages including French la Mannschaft (“the German national football team”). While the national squad has always been referred to as die Mannschaft in German, this used to mean no more than “the team” in the same way that this word would be used referring to any other team. However, it has recently come to be used as a semi-official nickname of the national team.
Mannschaft f (proper noun, genitive Mannschaft)