Wiktionary:Requested entries (Swedish)
Have an entry request? Add it to the list. - But please:
- Think twice before adding long lists of words as they may be ignored.
- If possible provide context, usage, field of relevance, etc.
- Check the Wiktionary:Criteria for inclusion if you are unsure if it belongs in the dictionary.
Please remove entries from this list once they have been written (i.e. the link is “live”, shown in blue, and has a section for the correct language)
There are a few things you can do to help:
- Add glosses or brief definitions.
- Add the part of speech, preferably using a standardized template.
- If you know what a word means, consider creating the entry yourself instead of using this request page.
- Please indicate the gender(s) of nouns in languages that have them.
- For inflected languages, if you see inflected forms (plurals, past tenses, superlatives, etc.) indicate the base form (singular, infinitive, absolute, etc.) of the requested term and the type of inflection used in the request.
- For words in languages that don’t use Latin script but are listed here only in their romanized form, please add the correct form in the native script.
- Don’t delete words just because you don’t know them — it may be that they are used only in certain contexts or are archaic or obsolete.
- Don’t simply replace words with what you believe is the correct form. The form here may be rare or regional. Instead add the standard form and comment that the requested form seems to be an error in your experience.
- -:- -- It seems like this is perhaps used to join abbreviations, as in sms, or numbers (2:e), and orther things like c:a and l:a.? I find this vaguely fascinating.__Gamren (talk) 21:04, 26 February 2017 (UTC)
- adventsljusstake – Advent wreath
- få en släng av sleven -- to receive a slice of the pie/cake
- av samma skrot och korn -- "of the same scrap and corn" (a saying similar to "birds of a feather" or "cut from the same cloth")
- bebisbio, already a definition in Danish, means pretty much the same thing, see w:sv:Babybio
- blankspolade, "flushed smooth"
- bondska: dialect in northern Sweden (Västerbotten)
- bunt (bundle)
- dogg - a group of dog breeds (including bulldog)
- Farbror Blå ("Uncle Blue") = slang for police (because of the blue uniform)?
- formation (needs Swedish)
- futurum exaktum
- futurum exaktum preteriti
- futurum preteriti
- handtryck -- hand-printed?
- hiskelig -- ghastly, horrible, terrible, frightful?
- hur enkelt - simply or plainly
- hyperdrift - apparently used as a translation for hyperdrive in TV subtitles.
- högsvenska – (Finland) standard Swedish (as opposed to dialectal Swedish); standard Finland Swedish (as opposed to rikssvenska)
- härdarmästare - apparently a working-class profession related to metals and heat
- lunchdisco - a disco at lunchtime, this fad's getting popular around Sweden.
- murpelare (redlink, but a bluelinked form is murpelarna)
- måttbestämda -- definite form singular and plural of måttbestämd -- som har ett bestämt mått - that has a set measure
- metonym (needs Swedish) - translation of English metonym. Philmonte101 (talk) 23:58, 2 September 2016 (UTC)
- moscha: moonshine (illicit alcoholic drink)? - Finland Swedish, apparently derived from "moonshine"
- negerkung (neger + kung)
- nepalesisk - Nepalese
- nunatakker - might be plural form of the noun nunatak
- nusvenska - the Swedish language as spoken since the year 1900
- nu är det kokta fläsket stekt - now the shit has really hit the fan?
- när katten är borta dansar råttorna på bordet - when the cat's away the mice will play?
- okapabla plural or definite form of okapabel -- incapable
- omljud -- mutation ...or apophony, as wp uses.
- renommé – reputation
- renommésnyltning – "reputation leeching" or "credibility leeching" (business law), compare with "leeching off Britain's credibility and respected reputation". Also translated as "reputation parasitism" here.
- ribbstol (“wall bars”) - source of Serbo-Croatian ripstol
- rikssvenska - standard Swedish (as spoken in Sweden); the prestige accent of standard Swedish in Sweden
- runtslussad - past participle of "slussa runt"
- rymdgrodan - this means "the space frog", but it's not a word that is used
- shobresvenska - same as rinkebysvenska
- sinfonietta — Cf. German Sinfonietta, English sinfonietta, Italian sinfonietta, French symphoniette.
- skattesänkning (“tax reduction”) — per Special:Diff/50286073. SURJECTION ·talk·contr·log· 15:23, 8 September 2018 (UTC)
- släng av sleven - slice of the pie
- smörgåstårta - "sandwich cake", a type of cold, savory, bread-based cake with filling
- smultronställe strawberry patch; WP says "idiomatically signifies an underrated gem of a place, often with personal or sentimental value"
- snudd -- is there any point in having this as a standalone entry? I doubt it is ever used in other contexts than in the expression snudd på...
- snutt = sound bite?
- snylta – sponge, cadge
- sockenmål -- "parish speech" -- a term used by Swedish linguists to refer to local Swedish dialects
- så när som på / sånär som på
- schejk -- sheik
- skäliga -- "reasonable; fair; justified"
- sädesfrön -- seeds
- schasa -- shoo (encourage to leave)
- sortering -- Already a Danish entry, but this is apparently also a word in Swedish and Dutch. Someone added "sorteringen" with a Swedish inflection of the noun, but did not add the noun itself. Any takers? Philmonte101 (talk) 09:22, 20 July 2016 (UTC)
- stamområde --
- snuskhummer – "dirty lobster" – creep? douche bag?
- skägget i brevlådan - to get caught with one's pants down? to get caught red-handed?
- tillförordnad (as linked to in tf)
- tillhandahållna ("provided"? "available"?)
- trollkonsternas, definite plural genitive of trollkonst -- magic arts, trick of an illusionist, (wizardry?)
- tonartshöjning - the truck driver's gear change!
- Troca: slang nickname for the soft drink Trocadero? (I think)
- tycker om
- uppstyrdheten definite of uppstyrdhet (a most uncommon word; slang or a temporary compound)
- uppvisning -- display, performance, show
- valk - has other languages, but not Swedish
- värdighet – oddly, there's already an entry for the plural, värdigheten
- vredesdom, definite singular vredesdomen already exists
- välbehag, see sv:välbehag