Wiktionary:Requested entries (Swedish)
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Have an entry request? Add it to the list. - But please:
- Think twice before adding long lists of words as they may be ignored.
- If possible provide context, usage, field of relevance, etc.
Please remove entries from this list once they have been written (i.e. the link is “live”, shown in blue, and has a section for the correct language)
There are a few things you can do to help:
- Add glosses or brief definitions.
- Add the part of speech, preferably using a standardized template.
- If you know what a word means, consider creating the entry yourself instead of using this request page.
- Please indicate the gender(s) of nouns in languages that have them.
- For inflected languages, if you see inflected forms (plurals, past tenses, superlatives, etc) indicate the base form (singular, infinitive, absolute, etc) of the requested term and the type of inflection used in the request.
- For words in languages that don’t use Latin script but are listed here only in their romanized form, please add the correct form in the native script.
- Don’t delete words just because you don’t know them — it may be that they are used only in certain contexts or are archaic or obsolete.
- Don’t simply replace words with what you believe is the correct form. The form here may be rare or regional. Instead add the standard form and comment that the requested form seems to be an error in your experience.
- aina? appar slang for "police" in some sociolects
- få en släng av sleven -- to receive a slice of the pie/cake
- av samma skrot och korn -- "of the same scrap and corn" (a saying similar to "birds of a feather" or "cut from the same cloth")
- agrikultur - I wonder what it could be? --Type56op9 (talk) 12:58, 15 September 2014 (UTC)
- alle. See Alle#Etymology.
- bakgata - back street. (current entries are Norwegian inflections) Donnanz (talk) 13:59, 30 March 2015 (UTC)
- bebisbio, already a definition in Danish, means pretty much the same thing, see w:sv:Babybio
- blankspolade, "flushed smooth"
- bröa (bread and etc) to crumb
- bunt (bundle)
- Farbror Blå ("Uncle Blue") = slang for police (because of the blue uniform)?
- formation (needs Swedish)
- futurum exaktum
- futurum exaktum preteriti
- futurum preteriti
- gamme “crib, manger”
- hiskelig -- ghastly, horrible, terrible, frightful?
- hopsydd - ?
- hur enkelt - simply or plainly
- hyperdrift - apparently used as a translation for hyperdrive in TV subtitles.
- lovats supine tense, passive voice of lova -- "had been promised"
- lunchdisco - a disco at lunchtime, this fad's getting popular around Sweden.
- mentalsjukhus (“mental hospital”)
- murpelare (redlink, but a bluelinked form is murpelarna)
- måttbestämda -- definite form singular and plural of måttbestämd -- som har ett bestämt mått - that has a set measure
- nepalesisk - Nepalese
- nunatakker - might be plural form of the noun nunatak
- nusvenska - the Swedish language as spoken since the year 1900
- nysvenska - Modern Swedish, the Swedish language as spoken during the period 1526 to 1900
- ogooglebar -- ungoogleable
- okapabla plural or definite form of okapabel -- incapable
- omljud -- mutation ...or apophony, as wp uses.
- ostkaka -- "Swedish cheesecake", a dessert
- panpsykism = panpsychism
- pimpling - needs Swedish, something wish fish?
- pukor plural of puka -- timpani?
- på djupt vatten
- påhitt - invention, fabrication
- rekorderlig: Swedish cider brand, but also appar can mean "hearty"? or is it "proper/decent"? or...?!
- renommé – reputation
- renommésnyltning – "reputation leeching" or "credibility leeching" (business law), compare with "leeching off Britain's credibility and respected reputation". Also translated as "reputation parasitism" here.
- rikssvenska - standard Swedish
- runtslussad - past participle of "slussa runt"
- rymdgrodan - this means "the space frog", but it's not a word that is used
- shobresvenska - same as rinkebysvenska
- sinfonietta — Cf. German Sinfonietta, English sinfonietta, Italian sinfonietta, French symphoniette.
- skottlossning - shooting
- släng av sleven - slice of the pie
- smörgåstårta - "sandwich cake", a type of cold, savory, bread-based cake with filling
- smultronställestrawberry patch; WP says "idiomatically signifies an underrated gem of a place, often with personal or sentimental value"
- snudd -- is there any point in having this as a standalone entry? I doubt it is ever used in other contexts than in the expression snudd på...
- snylta – sponge, cadge
- sockenmål -- "parish speech" -- a term used by Swedish linguists to refer to local Swedish dialects
- substansmissbruk (“substance abuse”)
- svalkan -- definite form of svalka
- så när som på / sånär som på
- schejk -- sheik
- skäliga -- "reasonable; fair; justified"
- sädesfrön -- seeds
- schasa -- shoo (encourage to leave)
- tillförordnad (as linked to in tf)
- trollkonsternas, definite plural genitive of trollkonst -- magic arts, trick of an illusionist, (wizardry?)
- uppstyrdheten definite of uppstyrdhet (a most uncommon word; slang or a temporary compound)
- uppvisning -- display, performance, show
- utanpå -- on the outside
- ödetorp: some sort of cottage or cabin. an abandoned small house