bad taste in one's mouth
- (idiomatic) A feeling something is morally despicable as to cause nausea.
- The more I thought of my orders, the more it left a bad taste in my mouth.
- (idiomatic) A feeling of guilt, responsibility, or embarrassment as to cause nausea.
- Knowing that I had inadvertently aided a killer, left me with a bad taste in my mouth.
- (idiomatic) A feeling of disappointment and frustration.
2005: “Our goal was to get to the Final Four, compete for the national championship,” Williams said. “It just leaves a bad taste in your mouth, not getting to cut down the nets.” — Long Distance Drought: Illinois goes 12-for-40 from behind the arc Associated Press, April 4, 2005