Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (US) The act of abridging; reduction or deprivation [First attested from around (1350 to 1470).]
- (US) The state of being abridged or lessened.
- (US) An epitome or compend, as of a book; a shortened or abridged form; an abbreviation. [First attested from around (1350 to 1470).]
- 2012 March 22, Scott Tobias, “The Hunger Games”, in AV Club:
- When the goal is simply to be as faithful as possible to the material—as if a movie were a marriage, and a rights contract the vow—the best result is a skillful abridgment, one that hits all the important marks without losing anything egregious.
- (obsolete) That which abridges or cuts short; hence, an entertainment that makes the time pass quickly
- 1605, Shakespeare, Midsummer Night's Dream, V-i:
- What abridgment have you for this evening? What masque? what music?
- (dated, law) Any of various brief statements of case law made before modern reporting of legal cases.
- (law) The leaving out of certain portions of a plaintiff's demand, the writ still holding good for the remainder.
- In current usage this spelling is about as common as abridgement in the US, but much less common in the UK.
- Notes on near-synonyms:
- An abridgment is made by omitting the less important parts of some larger work; as, an abridgment of a dictionary.
- A compendium is a brief exhibition of a subject, or science, for common use; as, a compendium of American literature.
- An epitome corresponds to a compendium, and gives briefly the most material points of a subject; as, an epitome of history.
- An abstract is a brief statement of a thing in its main points.
- A synopsis is a bird's-eye view of a subject, or work, in its several parts.
act of abridging
state of being abridged
obsolete: that which abridges or cuts short
brief statement of case law
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked