Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Used other than as an idiom: see answer, for.
- I don't know the answer to that, so I'm going to let my lawyer answer for me.
- (transitive or intransitive) To be held responsible for; to take the blame for something.
- The mayor wil be answering for his crimes for many years.
2007 September, Wilson D Miscamble, “The Faculty 'Problem'”, in America, volume 197, number 6, page 26:
- Duffy dared to think that Queen Elizabeth I has a few things for which to answer
- (transitive) To guarantee.
- I will answer for his debt, if he can't pay on the day.
- (transitive) To vouch for (someone); to attest to the character of (someone).
- She's known me for years, and she's always answered for me!.
- The verb and particle are usually not separated.
to be held responsible for