- Used other than with a figurative or idiomatic meaning: see answer, to.
- You've been asking me questions all day, and I answered to help with the investigation, but I'm done now.
- To be accountable or responsible to; to account to; to report to.
- I'm above you in the hierarchy, Jim, so you should be answering to me.
- To justify oneself to (someone). (usually with have to)
- You're going to have to answer to all of these charges to my satisfaction.
- To respond to (a name); to treat as one's own name.
- She's answered to Katie her entire life.
to be responsible to