- The process or period of one's ascent
- This was a key moment in Caesar's ascendancy.
- Supremacy; dominant control; the quality of being in the ascendant
- 2011 January 15, Phil McNulty, “Tottenham 0 - 0 Man Utd”, in BBC:
- Spurs ended the half in the ascendancy and Van der Vaart was again inches away from giving them the lead when he met Bale's cross but his header flew wide.
- A class of Protestant landowners and professionals that dominated political and social life in Ireland up to the early 20th century
- [W. B. Yeats] belonged not to the ascendancy class but to the protestant bourgeoisie. – Terry Eagleton, New Left Review, 1975
period or process of ascent
supremacy; superiority; dominant control