Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rising, moving upward.
- The constellation […] about that time ascendant.
- Surpassing or controlling.
- An ascendant spirit over him.
- John Stuart Mill
- The ascendant community obtained a surplus of wealth.
Rising, moving upward
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
ascendant (plural ascendants)
- Being in control; superiority, or commanding influence; ascendency.
- One man has the ascendant over another.
- Chievres had acquired over the mind of the young monarch the ascendant not only of a tutor, but of a parent.
- An ancestor (antonym of descendant)
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Ayliffe to this entry?)
- Ascent; height; elevation.
- Sciences that were then in their highest ascendant.
- (astrology) The horoscope, or that degree of the ecliptic which rises above the horizon at the moment of one's birth; supposed to have a commanding influence on a person's life and fortune.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Burke to this entry?)
Being in control
ascendant m (plural ascendants)
- (astrology) ascendant
- influence, ascendancy
- L'équipe adverse a repris l'ascendant du match. ― The team is again dominated by the adversary.
- (genealogy) ancestry
- “ascendant” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).