Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The act of ascending; a motion upwards.
- He made a tedious ascent of Mont Blanc.
- The way or means by which one ascends.
- An eminence, hill, or high place.
- The degree of elevation of an object, or the angle it makes with a horizontal line; inclination; gradient; steepness
- The road has an ascent of 5 degrees.
- (typography) The ascender height in a typeface.
- An increase, for example in popularity or hierarchy
- 2012 March 22, Scott Tobias, “The Hunger Games”, in The AV Club:
- That such a safe adaptation could come of The Hunger Games speaks more to the trilogy’s commercial ascent than the book’s actual content, which is audacious and savvy in its dark calculations.
act of ascending; motion upwards
eminence, hill, or high place
degree of elevation of an object, or the angle it makes with a horizontal line
- “ascent”, in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, Springfield, Mass.: G. & C. Merriam, 1913, →OCLC.