Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Gradient
Audio (US) (file)
gradient (plural gradients)
- A slope or incline.
- A rate of inclination or declination of a slope.
- (calculus) Of a function y = f(x) or the graph of such a function, the rate of change of y with respect to x
that is, the amount by which y changes for a certain (often unit) change in x
equivalently, the inclination to the X axis of the tangent to the curve of the graph.
- (sciences) The rate at which a physical quantity increases or decreases relative to change in a given variable, especially distance.
- (analysis) A differential operator that maps each point of a scalar field to a vector pointed in the direction of the greatest rate of change of the scalar. Notation for a scalar field φ: ∇φ
- A gradual change in color. A color gradient; gradation.
slope or incline
rate of inclination or declination of a slope
in vector algebra
gradient (not comparable)
- Moving by steps; walking.
- gradient automata
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Wilkins to this entry?)
- Rising or descending by regular degrees of inclination.
- the gradient line of a railroad
- Adapted for walking, as the feet of certain birds.
- (analysis) gradient; a vector operator
|Declension of gradient|