Jump to navigation Jump to search
Morphologically different + -ial.
differential (comparative more differential, superlative most differential)
- Of or pertaining to a difference.
- differential characteristics
- 1856, John Lothrop Motley, The Rise of the Dutch Republic: A History, volume 1:
- [Caspar Schetz, Baron of Grobbendonck] was regularly in the pay of Sir Thomas Gresham, to whom he produced differential favours, and by whose government he was rewarded by gold chains and presents of hard cash, bestowed as secretly as the equivalent was conveyed adroitly.
- Dependent on, or making a difference; distinctive.
- Having differences in speed or direction of motion.
- (mathematics) Of or pertaining to differentiation or the differential calculus.
relating to a difference
dependent on, distinctive
having differences in speed or direction
relating to differentiation or differential calculus
differential (plural differentials)
- The differential gear in an automobile, etc.
- A qualitative or quantitative difference between similar or comparable things.
- (mathematics) An infinitesimal change in a variable, or the result of differentiation.
- One of two coils of conducting wire so related to one another or to a magnet or armature common to both, that one coil produces polar action contrary to that of the other.
- A form of conductor used for dividing and distributing the current to a series of electric lamps so as to maintain equal action in all.
differential gear — see differential gear
difference between similar or comparable things
- absolute differential calculus
- affine differential geometry
- delay differential equation
- differential amplifier
- differential analyzer
- differential coefficient
- differential diagnosis
- differential equation
- differential form
- differential gear
- differential geometry
- differential lock
- differential medium
- differential psychologist
- differential psychology
- differential scanning calorimetry
- differential screw
- differential steering
- differential structure
- differential thermal analysis
- differential thermometer
- differential topology
- Legendre's differential equation
- limited-slip differential
- locking differential
- open differential
- ordinary differential equation
- partial differential
- partial differential equation
- stochastic differential equation
- ^ 1874, Edward H. Knight, American Mechanical Dictionary
- (mechanics) a differential gear
- (mathematics) an infinitesimal change
- (mathematics) the differential operator
|Declension of differential|