Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
attorney (plural attorneys)
- (US) A lawyer; one who advises or represents others in legal matters as a profession.
- (UK 19th century and earlier) One such who practised in the courts of the common law (cf solicitor, proctor).
- (Britain, 20th century and later, rare, usually pejorative) A solicitor.
- (obsolete outside set phrases) An agent or representative authorized to act on someone else's behalf.
- In the "agent" sense, the word is now used to refer to nonlawyers usually only in fixed phrases such as attorney-in-fact or power of attorney.
- ^ Oxford English Dictionary (1971), p. 553.