Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈɔθəɹaɪz/, /ˈɑθəɹaɪz/
- (Canada) IPA(key): /ˈɑθəɹaɪz/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɔːθəɹaɪz/
- Rhymes: -aɪz
- (transitive) To grant (someone) the permission or power necessary to do (something).
- The General Assembly authorized the Council to take up the matter.
- (transitive) To permit (something), to sanction or consent to (something).
- The judge authorized the wiretapping.
to grant power or permission
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.