Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Severity of manners or life; extreme rigor or strictness; harsh discipline.
- Freedom from adornment; plainness; severe simplicity.
- (economics) A policy of deficit-cutting, which by definition requires lower spending, higher taxes, or both.
2012 April 23, Angelique Chrisafis, “François Hollande on top but far right scores record result in French election”, in the Guardian:
- He said France clearly wanted to "close one page and open another". He reiterated his opposition to austerity alone as the only way out of Europe's crisis: "My final duty, and I know I'm being watched from beyond our borders, is to put Europe back on the path of growth and employment."
- (obsolete) Sourness and harshness to the taste.
- (severity of manners or life): comfort
severity of manners or life
sourness and harshness to the taste
policy of deficit-cutting: reduce spending and/or raise taxes
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked