Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Comfort
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈkʌm.fət/
- (Northern England) IPA(key): /ˈkʊm.fət/
- (General American) enPR: kŭm'fərt, IPA(key): /ˈkʌm.fɚt/, [ˈkʰʌɱ.fɚt]
- (obsolete) enPR: kŭmfôrt', IPA(key): /kʌmˈfɔɹt/
Audio (US) (file)
- Contentment, ease.
- Sleep in comfort with our new mattress.
- Something that offers comfort.
- the comforts of home
- A consolation; something relieving suffering or worry.
- We still have the spare tire? That's a comfort at least.
- A cause of relief or satisfaction.
- The outcome of the peace negotiations in Moscow in 1940 was a heavy blow to the young nation, but in the same time a great comfort: at least the independency was preserved.
- (contentment, ease): austerity
cause of relief or satisfaction
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
- (transitive) To relieve the distress or suffering of; to provide comfort to.
- Rob comforted Aaron because he was lost and very sad.
- 1631, Francis [Bacon], “(please specify |century=I to X)”, in Sylua Syluarum: Or A Naturall Historie. In Ten Centuries. […], 3rd edition, London: […] VVilliam Rawley; [p]rinted by J[ohn] H[aviland] for William Lee […], OCLC 1044372886:
- Light, above all things, excelleth in comforting the spirits of men.
- (transitive) To make comfortable. (Can we add an example for this sense?)
- (obsolete) To make strong; to invigorate; to fortify; to corroborate.
- (obsolete) To assist or help; to aid.
- 1591, William Shakespeare, “The First Part of Henry the Sixt”, in Mr. William Shakespeares Comedies, Histories, & Tragedies […] (First Folio), London: […] Isaac Iaggard, and Ed[ward] Blount, published 1623, OCLC 606515358, [Act IV, scene iii]:
- I […] cannot help the noble chevalier: / God comfort him in this necessity!
to provide comfort
to make comfortable
console — see console
- (Netherlands) IPA(key): /kɔmˈfɔːr/
- (Belgium) IPA(key): /kɔmˈfɔr(t)/
- Hyphenation: com‧fort
comfort (plural comforts)