Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- An ancient military weapon, an axe designed for combat.
- 1786: Another battle-ax, in the same collection. — Francis Grose, A Treatise on Ancient Armour and Weapons, page x.
- (heraldry) This weapon borne on arms as a mark of prowess.
- (informal, uncommon) Alternative spelling of , a domineering, antagonistic woman.
- (informal) An electric guitar.
- 2013 The instruments (one's named Baby) evoke tender talk from macho musicians. But some of these battle-ax beauties have seen more action than a roller derby queen: They bear the gashes and sweat stains to prove it. "108 Rock Star Guitars" reveals battle-ax beauty by Kiley Armstrong
- (Australia, usually spelt "battleaxe") An allotment of land at the rear of another property, with a long, narrow strip of land connecting it to the roadway.
ancient military weapon
belligerent woman — see battle-ax
electric guitar — see electric guitar
- The Manual of Heraldry, Fifth Edition, by Anonymous, London, 1862, online at