be born yesterday
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic, informal) To be new, naive, innocent, inexperienced, or easily deceived.
- I was not born yesterday, you know. I have done this before!
- 1915, William MacLeod Raine, Steve Yeager, ch. 6:
- "Say, do I look like I was born yesterday? See any green in my eye, Cactus Center?"
- 1998, Gwyn Hyman Rubio, Icy Sparks, page 155:
- "Compared to me, you were born yesterday."
- 2005, Howard Zinn and Donaldo Pereira Macedo, Howard Zinn on Democratic Education, page 69:
- If you don't know important things about history, then it's as if you were born yesterday.
- Mostly used in the negative to indicate that one is not as naive as had been implied, but sometimes in an affirmative form, as in the quotations above.
- See Wikisaurus:naive
to be inexperienced
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.