Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- The dark, viscous molasses remaining after maximum extraction of sugar from raw sugar cane, used in manufacturing and cattle feed.
2007 July 25, David Hochman, “For Epicures, a New Take on Jerky”, in New York Times:
- Smoked over cherry and mesquite wood, and dried in a convection oven, it gets its flavors from organic blackstrap molasses, Jim Beam bourbon, and salt and pepper.
- (obsolete) A mixture of spirituous liquor (usually rum) and molasses.
- No blackstrap to-night; switchel, or ginger pop.
- (obsolete, nautical, slang) Bad port wine; any common wine of the Mediterranean.