break the bank
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (intransitive) (at a casino etc) To win more money than is available to be paid.
- (intransitive, idiomatic) To exhaust one's financial resources.
- 2001 Richard Swinburne - Epistemic Justification
- Or, similarly, consider the man determined to break the bank at Monte Carlo by studying the frequencies with which a certain roulette wheel lands in the red
- 2001 Tom Davidson, Lorna Gentry - The Complete Idiot's Guide to Home Security
- Home Security Doesn't Have to Break the Bank
win more money than is available to be paid
exhaust one's financial resources