brownout (plural brownouts)
- A period of low alternating current line voltage, causing a reduction in illumination
- When demand for electricity exceeds the available supply, a brownout occurs.
- Temporary dimming of vision, usually with a brown hue and accompanied by loss of peripheral vision or tunnel vision.
- On rising suddenly from her chair she experienced a brownout and had to sit down again quickly.
- Temporary closing of a fire station, usually due to budget restrictions.
- Fire departments across the country have been forced to rely on rolling brownouts because of the recession.
- a power outage during the day; distinguished from a blackout, which occurs at night
- (Philippines) a blackout, regardless of time of day.
- A rolling brownout describes a deliberate reduction in voltage (for sense 1) or of firefighting (for sense 3) in multiple service areas at staggered times.
a period of low alternating current line voltage
temporary dimming of vision, usually with a brown hue and accompanied by loss of peripheral vision or tunnel vision