Jump to navigation Jump to search
- IPA(key): /ˈaʊt.ɪd͡ʒ/, /ˈaʊt.əd͡ʒ/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- Rhymes: -aʊtɪdʒ
- Hyphenation: out‧age
outage (plural outages)
- A temporary suspension of operation, especially of electrical power supply.
- 2013 July 20, “Out of the gloom”, in The Economist, volume 408, number 8845:
- [Rural solar plant] schemes are of little help to industry or other heavy users of electricity. Nor is solar power yet as cheap as the grid. For all that, the rapid arrival of electric light to Indian villages is long overdue. When the national grid suffers its next huge outage, as it did in July 2012 when hundreds of millions were left in the dark, look for specks of light in the villages.
- The amount of something lost in storage or transportation.
suspension of operation
amount lost in storage or transportation