Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
dropout (plural dropouts)
- Someone who has left an educational institution without completing the course
- The politicians of the world are mere political university dropouts.
- Someone who has opted out of conventional society.
- One who suddenly leaves anything, or the act of doing so.
2010, R. Barker Bausell, Too Simple to Fail: A Case for Educational Change, page 193:
- To avoid excessive dropouts from the study, we wouldn't employ a single tutored group and a single control group that received no instruction at all.
- (cycling) The slot in the frame that accepts the axles of the wheels.
- A damaged portion of a tape or disk, causing a brief omission of audio, video, or data.
- Momentary loss of an electronic signal.
- A technique for regularizing a neural network by discarding a random subset of its units.
one who leaves without completing