- (Brazil) IPA(key): /kaˈʃo.ʁu/, /kaˈʃo.hu/, /kaˈʃo.ɦʊ/
- (Portugal) IPA(key): /kɐˈʃo.ʁu/
- Hyphenation: ca‧chor‧ro
- (Portugal) puppy (a young dog)
- (Brazil, Madeira, colloquial) dog (of any age)
- (Brazil, derogatory) A promiscuous man.
- (by extension) An unfaithful man.
- Short for : hot dog
In Brazil, this is the neutral and colloquial term for "dog", whereas in settings of higher formalities cão is used instead. The feminine cachorra is even more avoided in such settings (in which cadela is used), but is used more often in everyday language.
- (dog): cão
cachorro m (plural cachorros)
- cub (the young of certain other animals, generally mammals)
- pup (young of foxes, seals or sea lions)
- perro m