Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Made up of various disparate elements mixed together; of disorderly composition.
- Synonym: motley
- 1871, George Eliot [pseudonym; Mary Ann Evans], chapter I, in Middlemarch […], volume I, Edinburgh, London: William Blackwood and Sons, →OCLC, book I, page 4:
- [T]hey had both been educated [...] on plans at once narrow and promiscuous, first in an English family and afterwards in a Swiss family at Lausanne, their bachelor uncle and guardian trying in this way to remedy the disadvantages of their orphaned condition.
- Made without careful choice; indiscriminate.
- A sail caught by a promiscuous wind.
- Having many sexual partners, especially if indiscriminate in choosing said sexual partners.
- 2023, Parliament of Singapore, “Women’s Charter (Family Violence and Other Matters) (Amendment) Bill”, in Republic of Singapore Government Gazette, page 5:
- X spreads false rumours to third parties about X’s spouse being promiscuous. X’s spouse finds out about the rumours and is distressed. X has committed emotional or psychological abuse against X’s spouse.
- (networking) The mode in which an NIC gathers all network traffic instead of getting only the traffic intended for it.
made up of various disparate elements mixed together
made without careful choice; indiscriminate
indiscriminate in choice of sexual partners
being in a mode in which a NIC gathers all network traffic