can of worms
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic) A complex, troublesome situation arising when a decision or action produces considerable subsequent problems.
- If someone gets a promotion that might not be deserved, it could open up a whole can of worms with the other employees.
- (idiomatic) A troublesome situation; an issue whose resolution is difficult or contentious but not necessarily complex.
- Questioning the decision would definitely open a can of worms.
- (idiomatic) Any difficult or disgusting task, activity, topic of discussion or subject matter, which would be ideally avoided if at all possible.
a complex, troublesome situation