Jump to navigation Jump to search
canoe (plural canoes)
- A small long and narrow boat, propelled by one or more people (depending on the size of canoe), using single-bladed paddles. The paddlers face in the direction of travel, in either a seated position, or kneeling on the bottom of the boat. Canoes are open on top, and pointed at both ends.
- 1907, Robert William Chambers, chapter IX, in The Younger Set, New York, N.Y.: D. Appleton & Company, OCLC 24962326:
- He and Gerald usually challenged the rollers in a sponson canoe when Gerald was there for the weekend; or, when Lansing came down, the two took long swims seaward or cruised about in Gerald's dory, clad in their swimming-suits; and Selwyn's youth became renewed in a manner almost ridiculous, […].
- (slang) An oversize, usually older, luxury car.
- (gambling) Any of the deflectors positioned around a roulette wheel, shaped like upside-down boats.
small long and narrow boat
slang: an oversized luxury car
to ride or paddle a canoe
- plural of