Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ædəl
paddle (plural paddles)
- A two-handed, single-bladed oar used to propel a canoe or a small boat.
- A double-bladed oar used for kayaking.
- Time spent on paddling.
- We had a nice paddle this morning.
- A slat of a paddleboat's wheel.
- A paddlewheel.
- A blade of a waterwheel.
- (video games, dated) A game controller with a round wheel used to control player movement along one axis of the video screen.
- (UK) A meandering walk or dabble through shallow water, especially at the seaside.
- A kitchen utensil shaped like a paddle and used for mixing, beating etc.
- A bat-shaped spanking implement
- The paddle practically ousted the British cane as the spanker's attribute in the independent US
- A ping-pong bat.
- A flat limb of an aquatic animal, adapted for swimming.
- A sea turtle's paddles make it swim almost as fast as land tortoises are slow
- In a sluice, a panel that controls the flow of water.
- A group of inerts
- A handheld defibrillation/cardioversion electrode
two-handed, single-bladed oar
double-bladed oar used for kayaking
time spent on paddling
slat of a paddleboat's wheel
blade of a waterwheel
flat limb of turtle etc.
in a sluice, a panel that controls the flow of water
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (transitive) To propel something through water with a paddle, oar, hands, etc.
- (intransitive) To row a boat with less than one's full capacity.
- (transitive) To spank with a paddle.
- To pat or stroke amorously or gently.
- to be paddling palms and pinching fingers.
- To tread upon; to trample.
to propel something through water with a paddle, hands or similar instrument
to row a boat with less than one's full capacity
to spank with a paddle
- (intransitive, UK) To walk or dabble playfully in shallow water, especially at the seaside.
- To toddle
- (archaic, intransitive) To toy or caress using hands or fingers
to walk or dabble playfully in shallow water
toddle — see toddle